My Dirt Time The Adventures of Tom Sciacca

< Return to Gallery

page title

Beware! Poison Ivy

My Dirt Time This is not a wild or medicinal edible. Most of us know what poison ivy is and what is can do to your skin. This should go without saying, but don't eat it!

I put this here for a couple reasons. One, I like the pic. I think Aggie took it. Two, to make a point about being careful where you gather your wild edibles. In this picture you can see wild strawberry leaves in the lower left corner and maybe a burdock leaf in the top left. The thing is that the oil from the poison ivy is so durable and long lasting that these other plants could easily have the oil on them as well and that could really mess you up.

Watch out for hairy rope. All year round, even when the plant looks dead with no leaves and appears to be a hairy rope on a tree, poison ivy is dangerous.

Here is what Wildman Steve Brill says

"These relatives of the cashew, mango, and the sumacs cause people more problems than any other plants, yet they’re simple to avoid. After pointing out their different forms and asking people to locate them, even the kids are poison ivy experts by the end of one tour. The straightforward generic name comes from the Greek, where toxico means poisonous, and dendron means plant or tree.

Poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) has long-stalked, alternate, three-parted palmate-compound leaves. One leaflet points to the left, one to the right, and one has a stem and points straight ahead. The leaflets have some indentations on the edges that you could almost call teeth. The leaflets range from 4 to 14" long, with pointed tips, and more rounded bases. Their leafstalks are reddish near the leaf’s base.

These variable leaves are dark glossy-green most of the season, although they have red overtones when they first appear in the spring, and they turn scarlet in the fall. The plant is so beautiful in autumn, someone brought it to his garden in England, and now the British Isles are blessed with this plant.

Poison oak (Toxicodendron quercifolium on the East Coast, or Toxicodendron diversilobum on the West Coast), is nearly identical, except that its leaflets are partially subdivided into lobes. Botanists still argue over whether all these variants are really different species.

Poison ivy's general forms are also highly variable. It may grow as an herbaceous plant, upright shrub, or woody vine. The vine has aerial roots that anchor it to the tree or fence, but don’t absorb nutrients. Dark, dense, hairy-looking aerial roots are a certain identifying characteristic in the winter.

Inconspicuous green and yellow flowers grow on branched, lateral stems bloom in late spring.

They’re followed by small, round, berries in the summer and fall, green at first, then cream-white.

They’re as poisonous to us as the rest of the plant: Leaves of three, let it be! Berries white, take flight!

Of course, other plants, like blackberries, raspberries, wild beans, and hog peanuts also bear three-parted palmate-compound leaves.

One of the good things about poison ivy and its relatives is that, unlike many other plants, it’s always easy to find. It grows throughout North America, favoring disturbed habitats such as edges of trails, on fences, in fields, in marshes, in thickets, and woods. Because it needs plenty of sunlight, it doesn’t grow in virgin forests or very old, undisturbed woods. It’s especially common at the seashore, where its roots help prevent beach erosion, and provide cover for small animals.

The plant is poisonous all year. I heard of a man who randomly picked up a poison ivy twig to chew on in the middle of the winter. His throat got so swollen, the hospital had to insert a breathing tube to save his life.

The poison is the yellow oil urushiol, a lacquer-like phenolic compound. It doesn’t effect animals, but four out of five people are allergic to it. Exposure leads to severe skin blistering—contact dermatitis—usually within 1-12 hours. Washing with soap containing oils spreads the urushiol, although washing with an oil-less soap or detergent (see your pharmacist) helps prevent the rash.

Avoid poison ivy even if you know you’re not allergic to it, since repeated exposure may initiate allergy. Every time I pointed out poison ivy, one older German woman who regularly attended my tours would disobey me and shock everyone by holding a piece of poison ivy in her bare hands, innocently asking, in her thick accent: ?Mr. Brill, is dis dehr plant you mean?? She was immune, until one day, she showed up with bandages on her arms. She had flirted with danger once too often."What happened to you?" I asked."Yah, meester Brill," she repled. "You ver right. I no do dat no more!"The best way to prevent the rash is to rub juice from the broken stem of jewelweed on the affected area. Plantain species also help.A colleague is so sensitive that oil carried by the wind sets off a reaction. She tried a radical solution: eating poison ivy, starting with one very tiny leaflet in early spring, when the urushiol content is minimal. The next day she ate two, then three. I don’t advise this risky approach: It may backfire, and I wouldn’t try it myself. However, she was desperate, and it worked. She desensitized herself, and continues to consume tiny quantities for maintenance.I’ve heard that Pacific Northwest lumberjacks routinely protect themselves from poison ivy this way, but you can also get a bad rash where the poison ivy leaves enter the body, as well as where they exit (the treatment backfires)!

The worst thing to do with poison ivy is burning it. (If it becomes necessary to eradicate this plant, uproot it in late fall, wearing protective clothing, when it has a minimum of poison). The Boy Scouts Handbook forbids the use of any vine in campfires, to avoid such accidents: smoke carries the oil, producing a rash over 100 percent of the body.

If you inhale the smoke, you can get the rash in your throat, bronchial tubes, and lungs. This can be fatal, especially if you’re camping out, where there’s no hospital.

In fact, there's only one person in the world who doesn't have to worry about this effect, and it's someone with whom you're quite familiar: It's Bill Clinton -- he doesn't inhale!

"I tried it once, but I didn't inhale!"

Poison ivy inspired early twentieth century scientists to create weapons with substances as irritating to the human body as this plant. That’s how the mustard gas of World War I, and subsequent biological warfare, originated.

Nevertheless, poison ivy has medicinal uses. An ointment of equal parts poison ivy vine, prickly ash bark, and alfalfa seeds is supposed to be good, applied externally, for arthritis. I don’t know if it works, and I suggest you don’t try to find out yourself. There are safer herbal and nutritional treatments. Poison ivy is also used in homeopathic medicine. Here, herbs are repeatedly diluted so many times, there are literally no molecules left in the medicine. This makes homeopathy difficult to understand from a scientific basis, but it’s supposed stimulate the body’s defenses against the symptoms the offending substance causes. The patient’s constitution is more important than the symptoms in choosing the best homeopathic treatment, but for people with skin problems, poison ivy is often included in the regimen. Of course, there are conflicting claims about whether homeopathy works. Some people benefit from it, others don’t, but it’s safer than drugs.

UPDATE: Bigger, Better Poison Ivy Coming Soon to a Forest Near You! Poison ivy is going to be getting much better. Researchers at Duke University investigating ecosystems of the future pumped high levels of carbon dioxide into a forest. Prevalence of poison ivy increased, along with the concentration of urushiol!" It's not about the END OF THE WORLD - It's not about surviving a hypothetical PLANE CRASH - It's about the SATISFACTION YOU GET knowing you can take care of yourself and/or your family in ANY SITUATION, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE!

< Return to Gallery


August 2012:
Hurricane Season Prediction for 2012

April 2012:
How much water is enough?

October 2011:
New ion Flashlight Firestarter

October 2011:
Mushroom Walk & Cooking Experiment

September 2011:
More Favorite Plants on Facebook

July 2011:
Facebook Giveaway: Photo Contest

June 2011:
Facebook Giveaway: Your Survival Kit

March 2011:
Facebook Knot Tying Contest & Giveaway

February 2011:
Kevin Estella Survival Primer Slideslow

February 2011:
Camping Survival YouTube Video Blogs

January 2011:
Edible Plants on Facebook Part II

January 2011:
Kevin Estela Product Demonstrations II

August 2010:
Edible Plants on Facebook

June 2010:
Kevin Estela Product Demonstrations

May 2010:
Scout Challenge - Troop 35 Columbia, PA

May 2010:
Scout Challenge - Pack 201 Killeen Texas

May 2010:
Scout Challenge - Troop 179 Kansas City

March 2010:
Facebook Fans Favorite Survival Tools

February 2009:
Five great survival skill presentations

January 2009:
Winter Camping

August 2008:
MRE, Meals Ready To Eat Dissection

July 2008:
Wild edible plant school III

Spring 2008:
Some Recent Backpacking Trips

May 2008:
Aurora Magnesium Fire Starter Video

March 2008:
Hybrid Solar Oven Cooker Demo

January 2008:
Winter Survival Camping

September 2007:
Family Camping Survival Skills

July 2007:
Edible Plant Survival Project

April 2007:
Survival Skills for Kids

February 2007:
Winter Camping Trip

August 2006:
Edible Plant Survival

July 2007:
Survival Presentation to the Kids

July 2005:
Wilderness Survival Skills School

Camping Survival News

Check out these sites: